Summer Break for Kids: Top 10 Free or Cost-Friendly Things To Do in Niagara Falls
School’s out for Summer! Fortunately for kids, they get a whole eight weeks off during the summer.
As their daily routine comes to a halt, it’s time for parents to plan how to keep your kids entertained and squeeze in some quality time for the whole family. There are so many family-friendly attractions and restaurants in Niagara Falls which is why thousands of people from near and far choose Niagara as their vacation destination. Some of the most popular places and restaurants you’ll want to visit are all within walking distance from the Falls, so once you arrive, you can unload your baggage and start exploring on foot!
Niagara Falls is a whole different experience in the summer with the area surrounding the Falls completely encompassed in nature and beautiful beds of colourful flowers. Not to mention, the sight of the wondrous Falls as the backdrop to your day. It’s certainly something you have to experience for yourself and the summer is the best season to do this.
If you and your family enjoy nature and easy to plan activities, we’ve put together a summer bucket-list of the top 10 free or cost-friendly things to do in Niagara.
Here it is:
- Pack some sandwiches, snacks, and drinks for a picnic in Queen Victoria Park by the Falls.
- Visit and explore Dufferin Islands, 10 acres of secluded park containing several small islands connected by small bridges and footpaths.
- See the Floral Clock 2.5 kilometres north of the Niagara Parks Botanical Gardens. Learn the history behind this beautiful sight and capture beautiful photos here.
- Go for a bike ride or walk along the Niagara River Recreational Trail.
- Visit the beautiful Botanical Garden, located on the scenic Niagara Parkway and the Great Gorge, just a 10 minute drive north of the Niagara Falls. This garden setting is home to the Butterfly Conservatory.
- Visit the Bird Kingdom, a world class attraction located a 5-minute walk from Niagara Falls. Go on a journey in search of the legendary Lost Kingdom. Along the way encounter exotic birds, animals and reptiles.
- Take a walk on Clifton Hill and enjoy the lights and sounds of world famous attractions in Niagara’s entertainment district.
- Enjoy live entertainment with wood-fired pizza and steaks on Coco’s Terrace, under the starlit skies of Niagara
- Experience the Illumination of the Falls. See the Falls lit up with the colours of the rainbow between the hours of 9 p.m to midnight daily, during the summer.
- Watch the dazzling fireworks show above the Falls, from Queen VIctoria Park, every Sunday, Wednesday, and Friday during the month of July at 10 p.m.
Before planning a visit to certain attractions, it is recommended that you check online for operating times and prices, if any. Some attractions may be weather permitting. Visit Niagara Falls Tourism for more information.
No matter what you find yourself doing, you’ll be sure to work up an appetite and Coco’s Steakhouse Bar & Grill is always prepared to serve the most delicious wood-fired pizza and steak on our Terrace. Our family-friendly restaurant is conveniently located right across the street from the Fallsview Casino with free parking on-site. Come and join us for live entertainment nightly on the patio, after 7 p.m., we look forward to being a part of your summer experience here in Niagara Falls. Since it does tend to get busy during the summer, it’s best to give us a call to reserve a spot at (905) 356-1333 ext. 171.